Yes I know six months may seem a big deal but frankly speaking about it, I have seen that many sites don’t even get under 100K in more than 100 months too! The only reason behind this is that they actually don't know the secrets behind how to increase Alexa. I spent a lot of time in crafting this great post so I hope you will read it :)
What Alexa Actually Is?Alexa is a Web Information Company. It's full name is Alexa Internet, Inc. It is a subsidiary company of the Amazon.com. It keeps record of each and every webpage available on the whole internet! Alexa indexes new sites within a month or so, so we wouldn't consider this indexing period. We would start from the time when your ranks starts showing a numerical number. Usually it starts from 10 Million. I am not exactly sure about it but I am saying this because mine started from 10 Million. Alexa collects all the data it needs via their Alexa toolbar from all over the Internet which once installed on the users' computer, collects the data on users' browsing behavior and then transmits it to the website, where it is stored and analyzed, forming the basis for the company's web traffic reporting. While providing all the traffic insights about a website, Alexa claims that 6 million people visit its website monthly.
Why Should You Care About It?Alexa, a really big factor to be consider for getting sponsors for your blog. Most advertisers first go for Alexa to provide direct advertisements. Alexa is the only and only important thing after you have both quality content and Traffic. Astonishingly both traffic and content are independent of solely rankings but depend a lot on what you publish.
- Readership (Subscribers)
- Only 10% Advertisers look for PageRank.
How To Improve Alexa Rank?
1. Frequent Posting & Regularly Updating your Blog
If you are serious about your Alexa Rank and want to earn a hell lot of money then your authority tool should be your post frequency. Because the more you write quality, the more you receive traffic. If you are destroying your precious hours in looking for exchanging links and not posting consistently, then you are close to ending your blogging career. When you post more, your Alexa improves and when you stop posting or post randomly in irregular way then your Alexa will rapidly shoot up (Loose rank)
But again make sure that when we talk posting regularly, its not about simply throwing out a post. You will have to consider quality also if you want to attract robots for traffic and Alexa. Always make sure that the post which you've written, provides value to the reader and also with proper search engine optimization done. Thus you would increase your traffic considerably with in 3-6 months period.
2. Consider Post Publishing Timings
Alexa rank will never improve until you don't post consistently but it also won't improve until you don't consider post timings. Search spiders carefully record how often and how much you update your blog and your update schedule sets a schedule for Search engine crawlers. If you post constantly for a week then nothing for the next week, then you will really confuse search robots and will get nothing in return from them. If you really think that this way you will get a good Alexa rank, then I guess you should re-plan your traffic campaign.
I first made this same mistake. The very next day, as you all experienced, I started publishing posts at or after 12am (Pakistan standard time), that makes 2pm at US (where most of our traffic comes from). This is often the time when most of the people are active and bound to come by your blog.
So the factual point is that post frequency is the actual baseline, but you should think again before neglecting post publishing timings.
3. Stop Plagiarism
Just like Google, Alexa is also very strict against plagiarism. So, never ever try to copy any post or article from another site. Create your own, unique content so that the people and search engines would love it. If you are copying form another blog, then you are just wasting your time, no more! Original content always gets on top! Never underestimate the robots of Alexa as they are as much smart as Google's and can detect copied content. Your Alexa may even fall bad if you would copy content of others.
4. Create Quality Content
Not only Google, but quality is also a very sensitive issue with Alexa. The aim of the search engine is to return the best possible search results. And if a website falls short of the recommended quality guidelines, then it will be penalized sooner or later. If you will not receive good traffic, then you will not get Alexa. And even will good traffic, Alexa will not also improve until you don't have quality content.
5. Go Social
Social Media interaction of your site is also considered as a very important factor for improving your Alexa rank. Try to get active on popular social media sites, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, YouTube, Pinterest, Digg, StumbleUpon and so on. Try to increase your fan following as much as you can, and try to interact with many people. So get into social media and try to squeeze out traffic to get your best Alexa! The most affecting social media are Facebook, Twitter, Google+, YouTube, Pinterest, Digg, StumbleUpon, Reddit, del.icio.us and myspace.
6. Claim your website on AlexaYeah this may sound a little weird at first but actually claiming your site on Alexa helps Alexa to understand and rank it better. Also it is not very hard claiming your site on Alexa and hardly takes minutes. Just follow the simple steps below:
- Go to Alexa
- Type in your Domain in the box and click on "Claim Your Site"
- Now, it will ask for plans. Select free one and click Signup.
- Now, you would be prompted to sign up to claim your site.
- Simply click on Claim and signup an account. Now, after signing, on the right side you will see a meta tag similar to this one : <meta content='VHjyfLSjILCAyknu7IrTawegDm0' name='alexaVerifyID'/>. Simply add it below the <head> tag.
- Then Click on Verify My ID.
- You have successfully claimed your site!
7. Install Alexa Toolbar and encourage your visitors to do so!The whole Alexa is an algorithm which is based on the use of Alexa toolbar. Install the toolbar on your browser. As the toolbar makes the foundation of the website's traffic reporting, it will greatly affect your Alexa rank. The Alexa toolbar collects data on the user's browsing behavior and then transmits all of it to the main website, where it is stored and then carefully analyzed, forming the basis for the company's web traffic reporting. If you have Alexa toolbar installed right now while reading this post, then indirectly you are actually benefiting me a lot by telling the Alexa robots that "Hey I really like MBT Please rank it more higher!" and when more and more people visit MBT provided that they have Alexa toolbar installed, I rank higher and higher. You can easily download the toolbar. Also encourage and suggest your readers to download and install the Alexa toolbar.
8. Use Alexa WidgetThis a working trick actually told by Alexa itself! It tremendously affects your Alexa rank and really helps a lot to decrease (improve) your rank. Alexa counts the hits which they receive on their servers. If you would install their widget on your site, then this would literally tell Alexa how much hits you receive which would really improve your rank! Alexa provides different types of traffic statics buttons for your blog. You can select any one of them. To install the widget, follow these simple steps:
- Get to your site’s information page.
- Now, click on Get Widgets on the sidebar.
- Select your appropriate widget and click on Build Widget
- Now, copy the coding and paste it in your blog.
The Do's and Don'ts
- Publish posts consistently but never publish posts with no consideration of quality.
- Always consider post timings because without them, your post frequency is nothing.
- Create unique, quality and useful content for your users.
- Claim your site on Alexa and use their toolbar and widget and recommend your readers to do so.
- Get active on Social Media.
- Get more visitors on your blog especially from the Blogging community because there is a better chance that they might have Alexa toolbar already installed in their browsers.
- Don't copy and stop plagiarism.
- Avoid throwing out posts at random times and with no consideration of quality.
- AVOID using bots or any other automated methods because you will lose all your rankings easily if Alexa ever finds out!